Include Attic Insulation On Spring Cleaning Checklist

Cellulose Insulation Spring Cleaning Energy Saving ChecklistMany residents and businesses are compiling spring cleaning lists as most of the nation thaws from one of the coldest and snowiest winters on record. Spring should also trigger energy-efficiency and safety checklists including the often forgot attic insulation. Here are some checklist ideas to consider:

1.  Check the insulation in the attics of homes and offices.
This should be first on the list since attics are where the majority of energy waste occurs in homes and offices. Early spring is the best time for this task before summer heat makes it too hot in the attic. Review all areas of the attic to make sure there is proper insulation and everything is sealed tightly. (Learn more about checking attics here and consider having a professional energy audit.) If upgrades are needed get estimates from professional insulation contractors and contract for work now. Costs go up typically in peak summer (and winter) seasons. Consider using the greenest of the green cellulose insulation installed by a qualified contractor for maximum energy efficiency and environmental benefits.

2.  Change Smoke Detector Batteries
It is easy to forget and it is best not to wait for those pesky chirps some detectors sound when batteries are low. Change the batteries every spring and fall to keep homes and businesses safer from fire risks.

3.  Dust Dust Dust
Dust can inhibit energy efficiencies. Be sure to thoroughly dust light bulbs, electronic devices and vents. The latter should include A/C duct and recirculation vents, dryer exhaust vents and vents for computer and other electronic devices with cooling fans. (This one will also make for healthier home and office environments.) Also, slide out any refrigerators and vacuum the coils on the back.

4.  Update Thermostats
The digital age transformation includes thermostats. Chances are homes or offices with A/C systems even just a few years old may not have the latest in energy-saving programmable thermostats. Today’s programmable thermostats are smarter than ever and allow automatic control of air conditioning. These include basic digital models with simple control options to WiFi technology and even models allowing remote control from anywhere on a computer or smartphone.

5.  Tune Up A/C System Beyond Changing The Filter
Spring is the time to go above the standard monthly A/C filter check and change. A tune up now can save on energy bills and possibly ward off costly maintenance repairs or even replacement. It is possible to do this as a DIY task for simple cleaning of coils, drain lines and compressors.  But as with insulation, hiring a professional will typically provide the best performance and energy savings possible.

6.  Clean Sliding Glass Door Tracks
This one is often forgotten and can lead to a surprising amount of extra energy expenses. Dust and dirt in the tracks can damage rollers and ruin seals creating gaps. Use a wire or hard bristled brush to loosen up trapped dust and dirt. Then a strong vacuum to clean out all debris.

7.  Reduce Water Heater Temperature
Some homeowners may turn up the temperature on water heaters in the winter. Consider lowering the temperature to 125ºF during the warmer months. This can result in savings and the water will feel hotter since the temperature will be closer to the actual setting than during colder winter months.

8.  Reset Light Timers
Homes and offices with lights on timers should take advantage of daylight savings time and change the settings. This is also an important item for second/vacation homeowners.  Even if there is just one light burning, over the now eight months of daylight savings time a light set for 5pm can burn up more than pennies (remember: it’s always easier to save a penny than make a buck.)

9.  Redirect Ceiling Fans
If you have followed other tips here on the blog then you likely switched direction of ceiling fans for the winter. Be sure to switch all ceiling fans back to force air down.  Remember, in most cases, ceiling fans should be off unless there is someone in the room to actually benefit from the air movement. And be sure to dust the blades while you are at it…

This entry was posted in DIY & Insulation Tips, Energy Savings. Bookmark the permalink.
  1. leeshin12 says:

thank you for the clear points to be followed on spring.

2. Cleaning your glass door tracks sounds like a silly tip, but it’s actually really effective. I remember being given that idea and trying it out and watching my bill drop a few dollars. For a few minutes of work, it really adds up. Thanks for haring these for everyone.

3. Callie Marie says:

My house is old and has terrible insulation, but I try to so what I can to keep the air conditioning from slipping away. These are all great tips for checking the attic. I will consider fixing my attic to get better insulation.

4. I know I’m guilty of overlooking my attic’s insulation. It seems like it could really do you some good to check it out periodically. Saving money is always a good thing so making sure that your insulation is up to par is a good idea. Thanks for the reminders.

5. Alex Lane says:

Thanks for sharing this advice. I have to admit, my wife and I never thought check the attic insulation in our house. It’s probably been over a year since we’ve been up there at all. I will definitely go ahead and check that before winter gets here.

6. It is interesting how much energy can escape through a room that hasn’t been insulated. Often times people think that it is only themselves that suffer from procrastinating this type of thing. However, when you waste energy like this you are needlessly polluting the environment. I will be sure to check my attic and offices this year so that I can be cozy and green this winter!

7. Connor Adams says:

This is a fantastic article. I have been a home owner for about five years now. I have been in the attic but I have never thought to check the insulation. My electric bills have been quite high this past year. Thanks for the advice about a professional energy audit. This should help cut costs a bunch. Thanks for the post!

8. Liz Armeson says:

A lot of people forget that insulation serves a purpose all year round, so as the whether warms up, it mustn’t be neglected. You always need to be adequately insulated, no matter where you live or what time of year it is. Spring is a great time to check it, and hire an insulation contractor if you need to.

9. Dean says:

Great post. It is always a good idea to check your attic insulation and wood to ensure that water has not found it’s way in. Water can lead to mold, which can cause multiple health issues. Thanks for sharing this excellent advice.

10. Dean says:

Great suggestion. It is important to check your attic’s insulation periodically to make sure it is free of debris and moisture. Moisture can lead to mold, which can cause some serious health issues if left untreated. Thanks for sharing this valuable resource!

11. danielvhenny says:

it is very interesting and useful.thanks for sharing.

12. Calloway B. says:

Interesting topic and valuable points.
    Insulation seems like an easy task that anyone can do. Well, that’s partially true. Some simple things can be done by anyone with very basic repairing skills. But some other tasks require expert interference and professional equipment that individuals cannot afford.

13. Ellen Torres says:

Thanks for the cleaning checklist. The spring is very near so it needs to prepare my cleaning schedule and to write down everything I want to clean and refresh!

14. Laurie says:

I never thought about the dirt in the sliding door track having an impact. Great tips, thanks for sharing!

15. James says:

Cleaning dust is something that is almost a full time job, so I sometimes wait until it builds up a bit. I’ve been really wanting to get a newer thermostat hoping I can save some energy, but not sure which one I should go with after Google bought one of the main ones.