Dispelling Myths about Cellulose Insulation
There seems to be a lot of myths surrounding Cellulose Insulation. Namely, that it is made from paper so it must burn easily and that because it is called “cellulose” it must be a food source for mold. Well, quite frankly, neither of these statements hold any water.
First, the recycled paper that is made into insulation is treated with non-toxic, fire retardant chemicals such as boric acid to stop the insulation burning. Just watch this clip from www.youtube.com from Big Sky Insulation to see if you think Cellulose insulation is not fire resistant. By the way, we don’t recommend you try this with other insulation materials.
The second myth is about mold being attracted to Cellulose insulation because “cellulose” is a “food source”. Again, this is just a myth to cause people to doubt the effectiveness of Cellulose insulation. Backed by years of rigorous testing, Cellulose insulation meets all of the standards established by the ASTM (formerly the Amercian Society for Testing and Materials) for fungi resistance (i.e. Mold).