Cellulose Answer Man: Your Source For Information
I have a customer looking for Ecologo certification for Cellulose insulation. Can you please provide me with either testing or a certificate?
ECOLOGO is an Underwriters Laboratories program documenting the environmental impact (or lack thereof!) of products and services. According to UL:
ECOLOGO Certifications are voluntary, multi-attribute, life cycle-based environmental certifications that indicate a product has undergone rigorous scientific testing and exhaustive auditing to prove its compliance with stringent, third-party environmental standards.
It’s essentially a UL proprietary environmental product declaration. It is UL’s version of the Sustainable Minds Transparency Report program that developed the CIMA/CIMAC North American EPD. SM Transparency Reports are accessible to the public via the SM Transparency Catalog www.transparencycatalog.com. I don’t know whether it is by UL choice or by the collective decision of various building materials manufacturers, but there is no ECOLABEL certification for insulation products. Building & Construction product categories with ECOLABEL certificates are:
- UL 100 Gypsum Boards and Panels
- UL 2761 Sealants and Caulking Compounds(formerly CCD 045)
- UL 2762 Adhesives (formerly CCD 046)
- UL 2766 Heating and Cooling Systems for Buildings(formerly CCD 001)
- UL 2767 Paint and Varnish Remover(formerly CCD 051)
- UL 2768 Architectural Surface Coatings(formerly CCD 47)
- UL 2769 Corrosion Protection Control(formerly CCD 60)
- NSF 140, Sustainability Assessment for Carpet
- NSF 332, Sustainability Assessment for Resilient Floor Coverings
Can-Cell Industries, along with 12 other North American cellulose insulation manufacturers, is an insulation producer included in the CIMA/CIMAC North American Industry-wide Environmental Product Declaration for Cellulose Insulation. Interestingly, NSF, whose sustainability assessments for carpet and other floor coverings have apparently been incorporated into the UL ECOLABEL program, is the independent third party that assessed and confirmed the validity of the CIMA/CIMAC EPD.
Have a question, add it to any post or the Contact Us page here on the Greenest Insulation Blog, or use the Reach Us form on the CIMA website.